Best Hill Stations in Himachal Pradesh for a Summer Getaway
Himachal Pradesh, located in the northern part of India, is renowned for its mesmerizing hill stations that offer a serene and refreshing escape from the summer heat. Nature has bestowed all its love on this city Himachal Pradesh and true to its name it has beautiful snow-covered peaks. Several attractions will keep calling you again and again to this heavenly place as it is a state full of surprises. The most visited hill stations are situated in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Here is a list of the best hill stations in Himachal Pradesh which can be considered great summer vacation destinations.
The capital city of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is a popular hill station. Known for its colonial charm, pleasant climate, and stunning views, has been blessed with all the natural bounties that one can think of.
- Best Time to Visit: May to June if you are looking for a pleasant climate and December to January if you are into winter sports.
- Top Things to Do: toy train riding, ice skating, and camping in the woods.
- Places to Visit: Jakhoo Temple, Tara Devi Temple, Himalayan Bird Park, Lakkar Bazar, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Military Museum, Scandal Point, Chadwick Waterfall, Shimla Ridge, etc.
Manali is a scenic hill station that lies in the Pir Panjal and Dhauladhar ranges. It is renowned for its breathtaking landscapes, snow-capped mountains, and adventure activities making it a popular destination for tourists.
- Best Time to Visit: October to February
- Top Things to Do: Riding bikes through the hilly roads is one of the main attractions here. Tourists also prefer shopping and having tasty delicacies.
- Places to Visit: Hadimba Temple, Nehru Kund, Solang Valley, Vashisht Hot Water Springs, Jogini Falls, and Rohtang Pass.
Situated in the Kangra Valley, Dharamshala is famous as the residence of the Dalai Lama and the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile. The serene atmosphere, Buddhist monasteries, and the beautiful Triund trek make Dharamshala a captivating destination.
- Best Time to Visit: Visiting Dharamshala between February and June is preferable
- Top Things to Do: Firstly you can go sightseeing to explore this lovely place. Other than that, you can also go shopping, trekking, and cycling.
- Places to Visit: Namgyal Monastery, Tsuglagkhang Complex, Kareri Dal Lake, Bhagsunag Temple, Naddi Village, Kangra Fort, etc.
Roosted on the foothills of the Dhauladhar range, Dalhousie is known for its old-world charm and mesmerizing views of the snow-capped peaks. Khajjiar, Dainkund Peak, Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, and Satdhara Falls are among the top attractions in Dalhousie.
- Best Time to Visit: March to June will be the best time to visit.
- Top Things to Do: Boat riding, hiking, trekking, sightseeing, and shopping.
- Places to Visit: Panch Pulla Waterfall, Chamera Lake, Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, Satdhara Falls, Ganji Pahari, Subhash Baoli, Chamunda Devi Temple, Tibetan Handicrafts Market
A small and peaceful hill station, Kasauli offers a serene retreat amidst lush green forests and picturesque surroundings. The weather in Kasauli remains pleasant throughout the year, so it is an ideal destination to escape the scorching heat of the plains during summers
- Best Time to Visit: April to June and September to November will be ideal for visiting this place, as it usually has pleasant weather.
- Top Things to Do: Trekking, taking toy train rides, and shopping while staying here that you definitely can’t miss. you can also enjoy walking and enjoying the forests.
- Places to Visit: Sunset Point, Sunrise Point, Gilbert Trail, Christ Church, Mall Road, Timber Trail Resort, Gurkha Fort.
It is located on the banks of the Ravi River at an altitude of around 996 meters. Known for its ancient temples, palaces, and breathtaking views, Chamba is a charming hill station nestled in the Himalayas, rich in cultural heritage and historical significance.
- Best Time to Visit: While the weather remains pleasant throughout the year, the time between April and June might be best to have a vacation here.
- Top Things to Do: Trekking and sightseeing
- Places to Visit: Chamera Lake, Manimahesh Lake, Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Himachal Emporium, Rang Mahal, Hariraya Temple, Chaugan, etc.
Last but not the least Chail is one of the best hill stations in Himachal Pradesh. Tourists seeking a peaceful getaway from the bustling cities come to this place often. One of the main attractions in Chail is the Chail Palace, which was built in the late 19th century and was once the summer retreat of the Maharaja of Patiala. The scenic beauty overlooking Shimla and Kasauli, and the dense cover of deodar and pine trees, have increased its tourist attraction.
- Best Time to Visit: April to June is considered the best time.
- Top Things to Do: Camping and trekking are common sports in this area. Tourist usually prefers trekking from Chail to Gaura and Chail to Jhajjar. You can also enjoy walking in the pine forests.
- Places to Visit: Chail Wildlife Sanctuary, cricket ground, Kali Temple.
Certainly! Himachal Pradesh is blessed with numerous beautiful hill stations that offer stunning landscapes, and a tranquil environment so if you are planning to visit here for a quick vacation for a summer gateway consider this list of the best spots before planning your vacation.